29 June 2011

History Detectives Launches New Season

  Well, I caught the second episode of History Detectives last night (Tuesday, June 28). I happened to discover it by chance while flipping through the show guide on my Time-Warner cable box. This morning, when I decided to check out the website for the series (http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/), I learned that the current season launched a week ago. My bad.
  The new episode involved a WWII propaganda leaflet written in Japanese, which was deciphered during the show and the creator discovered. Also a cherished family heirloom, a watercolor, is linked to Tiffany stained glass, was researched, and a nephew and a son of two Americans who fought in the Spanish Civil War were united. As always, the research was well-presented and held my interest.
  The segment on the Spanish Civil War featured an interview with a veteran of that conflict who turned out to be a Finn-American. He joined on the Republican side because of the idealism instilled in him by his mother, who had immigrated from Finland.
  At the conclusion of the show, there was a short segment with instructions on how to research family history.
  History Detectives airs Tuesdays at 8/7c starting June 21st on most PBS stations.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment